Stretching before and after workouts is very important for many reasons. When stretching before, you want to be doing dynamic stretches, as this increases your blood flow, range of motion, and reduces your chance for injury. You want to avoid static stretching before working out, as studies have found recently that static stretching before exercise can weaken your muscles, negatively effecting your workout. However, static stretching is good for when you are finished with your workout. Stretching after helps get rid of stiffness and soreness, along with eliminate some of the lactic acid that was built up from the work out.
I did not know that static stretching was actually not good before a workout. I usually do static stretching before and after my workouts. I do more static stretching on cardio days but that could be hurting my workout performance. All of the teams that I played on in high school did static stretching and dynamic stretching. Thanks for the helpful fact.
ReplyDeleteStatic stretching is indeed better performed after a workout. Typically, doing an active or dynamic stretch is recommended to get your blood flowing into the muscles that you will soon be working. Perhaps an even better and more advanced form of stretching for after a workout would be Self Myofascial release, or just a fancy way of saying to foam roll. Applying pressure to the sore areas will activate biological aspects within your muscle that will keep them from being overactive, and stop them from inhibiting your performance.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know that you shouldn't static stretch before you work out. I feel like there isn't usually room at the gym to do dynamic stretching, so maybe I could do that in my room before. I need to be better at stretching regularly because I can start to feel it catching up to me. I have been so sore lately and have been pulling things really easily. I'll definitely use your advice on stretching.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know you shouldn't static stretch before a workout that is really interesting. I will try dynamic stretching from now on and I already stretch after and I love it because it helps take away some of my soreness.
ReplyDeleteNice post, I enjoyed reading and found out some new information from this, I have heard before that static stretching before a work out was not optimal for performance however wasn't sure whether it was just a myth.
ReplyDelete